Friday, November 12, 2010

My cover article in Hearing Loss magazine

I'm excited to announce that my story is the cover article on the November/December 2010 issue of Hearing Loss magazine. I was asked to write about my own hearing loss, and how I've coped with the resulting issues and solutions. I was impressed that no editing was done to remove my faith testimony, and lots of pictures of my family and my work in Mali were showcased. What a fun way to share my story of hope, and my success with cochlear implants.

I hope that anyone interested in overseas missions might consider researching the opportunities to serve with WorldVenture, or donating to help our work through the WorldVenture website: http://www.worldventure.com/Missionaries/Missionary-Directory/Missionary/Seward_Tom_Lisa.html

For regular updates on our work and family, go to http://www.tomseward.com/ .
Thanks to Cindy Dyer for pulling the story together and taking the cover shots. Thanks, also, to Jim Adams, for some of the family shots on the collage. Thanks to my family, particularly my good hubby, Tom, for his patience and love throughout this journey. And thanks most of all, to my Lord for His help, strength, wisdom and hope for each day.

1 comment:

dimtngirl said...

Lisa . .
My son and daughter in law go to your church in the Chicago area . . . my son also has hearing loss. When I read your story, I thought you must know our friends, the Gruddas (we went to Denver Seminary together in the 80s and have stayed in touch through the years) and then realized you were on Nancy's friends list! Small world.
I've had hearing loss since my teens and have been involved with HLAA since about 1990 or so. I cannot say enough good about this organization and the strides they have made for those with hearing loss. They accomplish so much with such a small national staff/office. I credit them with most of the success that has been made in captioning, land and cellular phone compatibility, insurance coverage awareness and lots of other things. Connecting with them was a life saver for me.
I have many friends with CIs these days and can connect you if you'd like. I still get a good deal of functionality with my hearing aids so have not gotten CIs yet. It may be in my future. I am glad that they are working for you! I've seen so many successes . . .it gives me comfort to know . . .if and when I reach that point.

If you'd like to connect . .please drop me a line. I'm sure you may get a chance to chat with Melanie . . my sweet daughter in law at church sometime (and/or Wes). They were able to go to the HLA convention in Milwaukee last summer . . and they may try to go next year since my other son and wife just moved to the DC area.
There are and have been many believers involved in this organization over the years . . .so they really do try to let people share from their hearts. They are good folks. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope I get to meet you sometime!
Dianna Attaway