Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cochlear Implant Surgery a Success, so far

Today was the big day for me; I had my cochlear implant surgery and all went well, according to the surgeon. But let me go back a couple of days to share the total experience...

I have been encouraged by other cochlear implantees to allow myself to be pampered and treated like a queen while recovering from surgery. And after reading the experiences of some who had facial or taste nerves cut or damaged during surgery, I decided that I was going to start the "queen treatment" a bit early, so in case I ended up being a worst-case scenario, I would have good memories to think back on. Also, I wanted to take my mind off of any anxious forethoughts, and celebrate the hope with my loved ones as I went into this first step toward returning to the hearing world.

So, on Monday night, I convinced my loving husband to take me out for all-you-can-eat shrimp at Red Lobster. We had Shrimp Scampi, Linguine Shrimp Alfredo, Cajun Shrimp, Hand-battered Shrimp, and Coconut Shrimp bites. Oh man, are you hungry yet? That was so good.

Then, when we found out that I had to be at the surgical center at 6:15 am on Wednesday and it's a 1.5 hour trip to Ann Arbor, I convinced my mom, who was driving me down for surgery, that we should leave on Tuesday and enjoy some of the sights of Ann Arbor that we'd never explored. When all you know about Ann Arbor is the University of Michigan Hospital and the audiologist's office near the mall, you know you're missing something.

So, I'd heard about Zingerman's Delicatessen and how it's "the best deli outside of New York City", so we decided to eat lunch there and enjoy looking around at all their imported foodstuffs and bakery, and then go on to Trader Joe's not far from our hotel. We had a great afternoon eating ourselves to the point of discomfort before I had to start fasting at midnight. By the way, Zingerman's does a brisk on-line business apparently, and I can attest to the fact that their food was DELICIOUS! Check out zingermans.com.


So, we got up early, arrived at the surgical center, were taken back for prepping, and wheeled away for surgery. Here's a picture before I was drugged unconscious.










The next thing I knew, I was being awakened, and told that the surgery was a "textbook case" and all went well. No nerve lines cut, and no other complications; in fact I was a best-case scenario, so far. The surgery was from 7:30-11:30, and I was released by 12:45pm to head home. Here's a picture of me after surgery, with my lovely turban headwrap on. Won't my African friends think this is quite attractive? I get to take it off tomorrow and see what's hiding underneath.



We stopped at Panera's for soup and Iced Green Tea on the way home. I wasn't feeling dizzy or nauseated, just a little embarrassed for my appearance. Then we were home by 2:30, and I felt good; energy to write blogs and e-mails, with a little help from my friendly Vicodin pill, I'm sure. By the way, have you noticed a theme here, with food? I like to eat.

So, there you have the surgery day update. My doctor said that I should be hearing again by Halloween. Of course, I have to recover, let the swelling go down, get the external pieces to make the implant work and get it programmed for sound three times before then, but I think the worst is over, now. We'll see how I feel tomorrow and the next day...

Thanks to all my prayer warriors for a busy, rewarding day of answered prayer. Keep up the good work!

3 comments:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Now THAT is the way to pamper yourself, Lisa!

Loved the photos and so happy it was a textbook case!

Keep up the pampering during your recuperation period. Can't wait for the next big step...ACTIVATION!

Jennifer :-D

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear your surgery went so well. I ached for your boys and their bus traumas. Getting to Wheaton schools are a bit less complicated...

Abbie said...

Now Lisa, you are beautiful! You should be a model for the CI recovery :) I'm so glad that you came through with flying colors!